Managing Your Email
Your Inbox contains email that has been accepted by anti-spam and anti-virus filters and/or mail that has been released from Quarantine.
Navigating your Mailbox
To the left of the Inbox contents view, there is a list of folders: Inbox, Drafts, Outbox and Sent Items. To move from one folder to another:
- Click a folder to open it and see its contents
The actions you can perform on the contents of each folder will be explained in the following procedures.
Sorting Message Order
To change the order in which messages are listed:
- Click any column heading in the message list to change the sorting order accordingly. For example: Click From once to sort the messages alphabetically (from z to a) according to the Sender’s name. Click From twice to sort the messages from a to z according to the Sender’s name.
Sorting by Sender (alphabetically)
Refresh Your Inbox View
Use the Check Mail feature to update your Inbox with messages that have been sent to you since you opened your email web session. To refresh your Inbox view:
You can create folders so that you can organize your messages into groups, and you can move messages from one folder to another.
- Select the messages that you want to move
- Select a destination folder from the drop-down list in the inbox toolbar
The messages are now filed in the folder you specified.
While Viewing an Email
Click once on an email to open it. When you are viewing the contents of an email, you can perform further actions such as adding an email address to either your Trusted List or Blocked List.
Your Trusted List and Blocked List
If you are viewing an email you’ve released from Quarantine OR viewing an email that did not get Quarantined (but which you do not want), it is easy for you to correctly classify the address of the sender.
Adding Addresses to Your Trusted List
- Open the message view
- Click Trusted Sender to add the sender’s address to your Trusted List (this sender’s emails will always be sent to your Inbox)
Adding Addresses to Your Blocked List
- Open the message view
- Click Blocked List to add this email address to your Blocked List (emails from this address will always either be automatically Quarantined or deleted, depending on the settings the administrator has chosen for the mail server)
The AceWeb Webmail Interface has simple and intuitive features that make it easy to write, address, and format emails.
The steps to follow to compose an email and send it are generally:
- Navigate to your Inbox
- Click New
- Enter a recipient, or choose a recipient from your Contacts list
- Enter a subject line
- Select whether the email should be flagged as Low, Normal or High Priority
- Enter the content of the email (including adding attachments if required)
When entering your content, click Switch to Rich Text in order to be able to apply formatting to the text
- Click Send to complete the process and send the email to its recipient; or click Save to Draft to save the email to your drafts folder so that you can modify it or send it later
The following sections give more detailed information about how to perform these steps.
Adding a Recipient From Your Contact List
Your contact list is displayed to the right of the recipient fields in a new email view. To add a contact:
- 1. Click To to add selected names to the direct recipient list; or Click CC to add selected names to the Carbon Copy list; or Click Bcc to add selected names to the Blind Carbon Copy recipient list.
(a) Click the contact names you require and their addresses will appear in the recipient list you selected in step 1.
Email Contact List
You can attach files from your computer to send with an email. To add an attachment:
- Click Attachment to open the Attachment view
- Click Browse to open a file selection dialog box
- From the file selection dialog box, find and select the file you want to attach, and then click Open
- In the attachment view, click Attach
Responding to Email
You can compose emails in response to emails you have received, and these responses can be: sent directly to the sender; sent to all the recipients of the email; sent to other people not on the original recipients list.
- Click Reply to send a response only to the sender
- Click Reply to All to send a response to the sender and all recipients
- Click Forward to send the email and your response to new recipients
Messages can be saved as drafts that you can revise and send later.
To save as a draft of a message:
- Follow the instructions for composing an email
- Click Save as Draft
To close without saving changes
Go to your Drafts folder:
- Select the drafts you want to delete
- Click Delete/UnDelete from the message toolbar
Deleting and Purging Messages
You can mark messages as deleted. When you delete a message, it remains where it is (with a line through it) until you purge it. Deleted messages can be restored, as long as they have not been purged.
Mark Messages as Deleted
To mark messages as deleted:
- Select the messages you want to delete
- Click Delete/Undelete
A line appears through the message.
Restoring Deleted Messages
Before messages have been purged from the system you have the option to restore them.
- Select the messages you want to restore (only messages with a line through them)
- Click Delete/Undelete
The line through the messages disappears, indicating that they have been restored.
To permanently remove messages from the system:
- Select the deleted messages that you want to purge
- Click Purge Deleted
The messages are now removed and cannot be restored.
You can: create folders to help you sort your email into groups. You can create folders within folders (sub-folders) as well to help you further file your email into logical groups.
- Go to Folders
- Enter the name you want to call the new folder
- If you want the folder to be a sub-folder, select a folder you have already created from the Place Folder Under drop-down list
- Click Create
- Select the folders you want to delete
- Click Delete
The Outbox is where the server temporarily stores your outgoing messages.
The Outbox has the same functions as the Inbox – you can delete, restore and purge messages, and file them in other folders.
Your Sent Messages
Copies of messages you have sent are saved to the Sent Items folder. The Sent Items folder has the same functions as the Inbox – you can delete, restore and purge messages, and file them in other folders.
«« PREV CHAPTER • NEXT CHAPTER »»
Table of Contents